John H. Garth, one of Hannibal's wealthiest businessmen who was involved in many Hannibal industries including tobacco processing, lumbering and banking, built his Second Empire country estate three miles southwest of Hannibal in 1871. Garth and his wife, Helen, received their close friend Mark Twain as a guest here during Twain's return visits to his hometown. Garth also owned a 6,000 square foot Italianate mansion in downtown Hannibal on Millionaires' Row (Fifth Street), completed in 1868.

Garth Woodside Mansion

In 1974, after years of abandonment, a large-scale restoration effort was initiated to save the Garth Woodside Mansion. Six families purchased the Woodside property and were responsible for the restoration: Mr. and Mrs. Roy Goodhart, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Graham, Mr. and Mrs. James Woollen, Mr. and Mrs. James Boling, Mr. and Mrs. George Johann and Mr. and Mrs. William Beckley. After restoration was complete in 1975, the group opened the mansion to the public for tours. Garth Woodside is now operated as a Bed & Breakfast by John and Julie Rolsen.

John Garth (1837-1899),

one of Hannibal's most prominent citizens. The Hannibal Free Public Library on South Fifth Street was dedicated as the John H. Garth Memorial Library when completed in 1902, a gift to the City of Hannibal by John's widow, Helen.

Garth Woodside photographed soon after its completion in 1871.

Click here to visit the Garth Woodside Mansion Bed & Breakfast website