The Admiral Coontz Recreation Center (previously known as Coontz Armory) is located at 301 Warren Barrett Drive, next to Clemens Field in historic downtown Hannibal. The facility was built in 1938-9 as a Works Progress Administration project. Made of locally-quarried limestone, the Armory has 15,000 square feet of concrete floor space and ceiling height of 20 feet. It is named in the memory of Robert E. Coontz, born in Hannibal in 1864, who sailed with the Great White Fleet in 1907-09, unified the Atlantic and Pacific Fleets after the opening of the Panama Canal, and was Chief of Naval Operations from 1919-1924. Admiral Coontz is buried in Hannibal at Mt. Olivet Cemetery.

Admiral Coontz Armory

Officers of the USS Pinta in 1889. Coontz is on the far right.

Postcard of the newly constructed Armory, c1940

Robert E. Coontz

(1864-1935)

Click for more information from the Hannibal Parks & Recreation website